My life is like my soup: an attempt to mesh seemingly disparate flavours into something palatable. I hope you enjoy this kooking show :-P

Monday, April 23, 2007

Rockin' a block party

Today I'm going to a meeting that I called to discuss the possibility of a block party in my area of town (I live north of Preston at Sommerset). If you or anyone you know is interested in getting involved in such an event, please contact me.

I've only attended one block party before, and I really liked the atmosphere. We just moved into this area in September, and already we have a sense of neighbourlyness that I would really like to encourage. My vision for a block party includes

  • DJs and/or bands playing music and people dancing to it
  • circus performers juggling, spinning poi and staff, hoola-hooping, and encouraging participation
  • face painting, crafts, and games for young ones
  • locals meeting their neighbours so that they feel safer and more friendly, which encourages...
  • people finding ways to meet their needs in a smaller geographic radius (i.e. you can just borrow my lawn mower instead of buying a new one OR you need someone to look after Jonny while you're at your Neighbourhood Watch meeting and my friend is interested in babysitting)
I hope many will share in the vision with me.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Canada License.