My life is like my soup: an attempt to mesh seemingly disparate flavours into something palatable. I hope you enjoy this kooking show :-P

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Update

So, to follow up on my last post, I have kept up doing yoga every day, but I ended up modifying my schedule. I find that any hot yoga classes in the morning do not jive with me so well. Surprisingly, I did manage to make the 6:30 am class on Tuesday, which was one of the most satisfying classes I've had yet. It included some freestyle dancing of sorts, which was really a great release.

Last night I attended the Spring Action Juggling club once again, and was pleased to have my friend Josh join me. He is a fantastic hula-hooper and learned many tricks just over the course of last summer. Again I saw Dr. Kaboom and found out that he had not recieved my e-mail concerning becomming a part of his shows; I was glad to find this out because I felt uncomfortable about him not having responded to my interest. I also found someone I can buy fire wick off of, so soon I will be doing fire shows again, YAY ! To be honest, I don't find fire spinning any more fun than without fire, but the crowd gets a kick out of it and it also drives me to have a planned routine (wheras I mostly just freestyle and haven't put a lot of energy into "choreographing" the moves).

On Tuesday I attended a Buddhist meditation at the Shambala Centre for the first time. It lasted 45 minutes, which didn't seem as long as I anticipated, but my mind was thrashing around quite a bit. I would like to continue practicing there; the space is very warm and welcoming, and it is very close to where I live. After the meditation there was a presentation about the Street Retreat that the Shambala Centre hosted (a document about this here). The retreat gave the participants a strong sense of appreciation for what they have, as well as helped to break down the social barries between homeless people and themselves. In the presentation I asked the question (paraphrased): "What are your opinions on our current solutions to poverty and homelessness ? Do they address the root causes of poverty and homelessness ? If not, did you gain any insights on how to heal these social illnesses on your retreat? " because I think it is important to address the political as well as spiritual aspects of poverty. I didn't get very much feedback on that though...

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Canada License.