My life is like my soup: an attempt to mesh seemingly disparate flavours into something palatable. I hope you enjoy this kooking show :-P

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Conspiracy theory .... what's the use ?

So, after writing about the conspiracy theory story, I was feeling rather vulnerable, considering that this blog is connected to my Facebook account, and even my mom reads it. Also, I am working to become a child care giver, and I don't want parents to think that I'm going to "brainwash" their kids; I want to be as honest and upfront with parents as possible about the values I am willing to impart, and I never wish to betray their will towards their kids. I have no desire to convince children that the world is a scary evil place that's out to get them. In fact, I'm a rather strong believer in "pronoia"(coined by John Perry Barlow, founder of the EFF) and exemplified in Rob Brezny's book Pronoia Is the Antidote for Paranoia: How the Whole World Is Conspiring to Shower You with Blessings.

But, here, I'm not looking to deny my belief in such theories, but maybe just give them a little contex. I still hold to the belief that certain conspiracy theories have truth in them (for example, the theory that our government is dumping loads of wierd chemicals into our air supply using jets that cast what are known as "chemtrails" seem undeniable after watching the movie Aerosol Crimes).

Rather, I ask myself, what is the use of entertaining these possibilities ? Well, I think that one reason I might want to entertain them is to prove that our government is not to be trusted, and that we as a socially responsible people need to invent new ways of organizing our society. For me, that means building communities that are more self-sufficient. So much of our time and our needs are tied up in our governments and the global economy, and to me that is a precarious place for those people -- many/all of which I love -- to be in. That is because I believe that our governments and our economy are unjust and unsustainable. To entertain the notion that our economy is unsustainable, one might want to watch Money as Debt, or even The Money Masters (which I haven't got to yet).

BUT, it occurs to me that rousing people to take action our of fear, using scare tactics, is really an attempt to enslave minds, to convince them that there's no other choice if we want to survive. And that will ultimately lead to the same situation which I am attempting to overcome, that in which citizens do not have control of the decisions that are being made on behalf of us. So with that, I'd like to entertain some inspiring realities out of LOVE for their manifestations....

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Canada License.